Friday, January 15, 2010

17 days without cabs

It is truly amazing how time flies.

Yes, it has been 17 days since I started the Day Zero project and YES I've only completed 3 goals. Now this does not deter my confidence that I will complete this list and I will complete it in 1,001 days.

There are several goals that I have started. And there are several I haven't even thought about starting (see goal #27).

Let's talk about the goals that are in progress. Cab rides. I love cabs. I love everything about them. How quickly they transport me from point A to point B, the quirky cab drivers that I can't help but talk to the entire way to my destination and how I don't freeze my ass off waiting for the bus/el. I have not taken a cab in 17 days.

Instead I have had the joy of riding the CTA every. single. day. The people I've met on the CTA have been far from boring. Case in point - today on the bus I was walking to get off of the bus when a young girl (clearly 20 or younger) decided to jet in front of me, nearly knocking me over. That was enjoyable - oh and did I mention it allowed me to miss my train, therefore making me late for work? To add to the delightful CTA experience, once I was finally off of the bus and heading to the el station a man selling newspapers almost completely knocked me over - all while yelling at me to watch where I'm going. He was yelling at me. To watch where I was going. He was walking backwards into me. I digress.

You see what I mean - the CTA has a great way of brightening up your day - providing entertainment value for everyone's delight. It was so fantastic to hear the bus announce this morning that they were cutting back service on my already horribly serviced bus route.

But here's my point. I kind of like this whole commuter thing I've got going for me. See if I hadn't started Day Zero I most definitely would have jumped into a cab on the negative a million days we've had of late. But I didn't. Rather I've become affiliated with a bus route and a train route and I kind of think it's funny that the newspaper man yells at me daily for running into him. Without Day Zero, J and I would certainly be out closer to $100 due to cab rides because it's cold rather than only $40ish for my CTA rides. Thanks Day Zero!

Want to read my Day Zero list... click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment